Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Thrifty Thursday (I think) And for Monday too!

Yeah, I've been a bit MIA for the last couple of weeks. It was tough helping Snickerdoodle deal with her loss...and I was at a loss. Thanks for all the sweet thoughts and prayers. We are over the first hurdle of it and she started her senior year Monday.

On to my thrifty finds. I picked up these goodies at GW a few weeks ago. The door sign is perfect for fall. The danglies were stretched out, but I grabbed a pencil and wrapped the wire around it again and they were good to go. The little herb pics went into the kitchen by the window.

Goodwill Find 82909

I also got two big pictures that day, but since I can't figure out how to photograph them without glare so bad that you can't actually SEE the pic...I'll wait.

There is a bit of a dichotomy with my Welcome sign, then the little one by the doorbell that reads:

NO SALES

NO SURVEYS

NO PETITIONS

NO SOLICITING

NO PROSELYTIZING

NO COMMUNITY ORGANIZING

TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT

SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN

THANKS YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION.

But the school fundraising, organizational soliciting season is upon us again. Our funds go to our school, church, charity and I get tired of answering the door and saying No. One of Snickerdoodle's friends freaked a little though (Honey, you've been playing over here for 3-4 years...you're okay)

And my final find. That's why the "I think" is in parens above. I've been looking for a dog for a while for me and, as usual, I found one for Cabinet Man. Again. This time though, I found one for me. Actually found a couple and am going with the 2nd one. He's an older puppy...5 months instead of 6 weeks. I think that is too young anyway to get a puppy, we prefer 10-12 weeks. Colorado law states that you cannot sell a puppy before 8 weeks. The two breeders we were talking to about puppies were adamant about 6 weeks. So when I found other dogs, I told the first ones we had talked to, "No thank you." They were great. We'd not put down a deposit and it was conditional so...no foul, no harm when we decided against them. And when someone selling puppies really is unfamiliar with the term 'alpha dog', back away.

Downy

I'm still trying to decide on a name. They call him Downy (who names a dog after a fabric softener?!) and that just Will Not Do. I have been considering Duncan (from Highlander:The Series), but I'm not sure if he is big enough to be a Duncan. Methos has been ruled out already also...bigger dog. Joe perhaps? Or Mac? I'll have to go thru the canon of the story and see. I missed out getting a female for free a few weeks ago...BUT, turns out she might be back there...the new owners had a house fire that destroyed their home and burned the father badly. He's looking at grafts for 30% of his body, so they just are not sure they can keep her. She would be great company for him as he has a lot of surgeries coming up, but being a puppy, she is also needier. So I might end up with her also :D Cabinet Man is not so sure...two dust mops running around. Since we are picking up a female cattle dog for him on Thursday, I'm not sure why he is allowed to have 2 dogs and I am not....we'll discuss that over the next few weeks I am sure.

Of course, if we get her, then it settles the names...Duncan and Amanda, Mandy for short)

The thrifty part actually comes in that I'm getting him for $100 less than she had him on the website for and $250 less than the price for her male puppies. We are getting the female cattle dog, Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird) for $50 less than he posted in the ad. Her parents are working dogs from a working ranch and he has been breeding them for years so we're happy with his knowledge...and he seems pleased that she is going to people who actually are familiar with the intelligent, weird, freakish ways of the cattle dog.

Scout

I've figured out a way to keep Caleb from killing me, by the way. http://susieqaworkinprogress.blogspot.com/2009/07/shhhhhh-he-trying-to-kill-me.html Turns out he hates the vacuum cleaner. He growls at it and darts in and snaps at it. Our female used to do the same thing. If the new puppy acts the same way, I will form the theory that all cattle dogs hate the vacuum cleaner. Now all I have to do is carry it around with me! It's a older Kirby. It weighs roughly a thousand pounds. Maybe I'll just record the noise to my phone and carry that..



I'll add this to my Monday post. I picked up this apothecary jar and lotion/soap dispenser at GW--$1.99 each!

10 comments:

  1. Great finds...including the puppies. I have three dogs, was not planning on it but it happens. :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, be still my heart! I LOVE those litttle puppies. We have five dogs, 3 are shihtsu's. My cousin has a cattledog, SMART and so protective of their children. Amazing. This is the CUTEST thrifty Thursday this week! Congrats! Great finds my friend!Thanks for linking up this week!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duncan! Duncan! Duncan! Even if you don't get Amanda. Or how about Methos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip. I should have thought of nail polish remover. I'll give it try.

    Cute pups. That would be rally funny if the cell phone trick works!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what darling pups! I love dogs and you'll make the right decision. Love your name choices! Thanks for the visit.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susie, I'm back for I forgot to answer your question. No, I didn't make the little stand. It's a little bowl and I just added some fallen leaves to it and sat the pumpkin on top.
    Continue to be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susie, thanks for dropping by and leaving comments. Love the puppies! marla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susie !
    You betcha I hit GW in FOCO and in Lvld this last weekend. I also hit the ARC - they were mostly 1/2 off too ! That is where I got all the fake fall stuff , I even got stuff that had new Hobby Lobby stickers on it for dirt cheap...so cool.
    I love your little pup pictures !!!! That mop pup melts my heart ! The little cattle dog is cute too. My sons dog is half blue heeler half austrailan shepard. They are natural cattle dogs so I think that is why they go after the vaccum cleaners. Ours goes after the lawn mower and anything that moves.They have a ton of energy that is for sure. It is in their blood to herd.....
    How about this super cold weather today and snow in the mountains ! Turned on the pellet stove just now.....burrrrrrrrrr
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Savers is too expensive..although I did buy some foral stuff for way cheap - so once in a while the prices are o.k.. ARC is only good at 1/2 price and there are still some things I will not buy at 1/2 price ! I don't know who prices their things but GW knows what they are doing for sure.....Yep, got to meet up at 1/2 price day girlie !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sign by the door bell is a riot. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Love comments! :) Hope to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments, good, bad or indifferent. I love reading them.