Friday, May 1, 2009

Facial apparatus, big ass wings and he's home!

Well, we are home from the hospital. Surgery went very well and much faster than anticipated. College Dude went in 10 minutes behind the schedule and was out over an hour early. Back to post-op with a morphine drip. At least an hour of entertainment. The nurses fell in love with him and were really were other parents around. See, when the kid is on a morphine drip (okay, not a kid...he's 21) he is VERY entertaining. Last time he was on it we were in the ER--he had some stomach bug and when he starts getting sick to his tummy, it literally has to be stopped with medication and he has to be rehydrated. He's always been like this...maybe a disconnect in his system due to the original heart surgery...just a guess. Anyway, that was his senior year in HS and he sang showtunes...the school was doing Guys and Dolls for the musical that year and he was in, show tunes.

No songs this time, but large words like prestidigitation (he explained the meaning to the nurse), facial apparatus (his father has a beard, his uncle does not), a brief discussion as to who has the most hair, his father or his uncle. Magnificent was a favorite word, it was cool each time someone came in to check his vitals, ALL the nurses were fabulous and cool. It was a pretty hysterical 45-60 minutes there. I was the only one present who had seen him that way before...his dad and uncle were trying not to laugh and I didn't bother to try ;D College Dude then informed the air in general that if giraffes could fly, they would have big ass wings. When Cabinet Man went to walk the uncle out, he and I had a serious discussion. It seems that College Dude wanted his teddy bear (first time in years). I told him that we didn't have his teddy here, but I could go borrow one. They had a stock of stuffed animals in the pre/post op department. No, he couldn't do that, it seems that his teddy at home would know it and be jealous. His teddy sits on his desk and watches over him while he sleeps.

Then the reaction to the anesthesia set in and it was not pretty...for about 4 hrs, two hours of rest and then another hour of it. And since he'd had nothing to eat to speak of since Monday night...other than two french fries and a bit of sprite...that went pretty quickly. Poor guy. Took several meds to find one that worked, then a while before a second dose could be administered. The original intention was to send him home Tuesday night, but due to his reaction and a 70 mile drive home, so they admitted him. Bless those nurses, they found specimen containers and saline for me to put my contacts in, a toothbrush and toothpaste and I was okay for the night. Cabinet Man went over to his brother's place to sleep on the sofa (they are temporarily in an apartment while they build a new home), and I sacked out on the sofa. The nurses on the pre/post op department were fabulous and wonderful and very helpful. The 9th floor, not so good. We were sort of an afterthought on the floor as he was not in real need of anything, just keep an eye on his oxygen. But they tried. College Dude was released around 10AM, we loaded up, filled the prescriptions and headed home. We grabbed a bite to eat on the way home at Sonic, I changed clothes and went to work, CD went upstairs to bed and Cabinet Man crashed on the sofa. After work, dinner, a large glass of wine, I was in bed by 8 or so and asleep soon after. College Dude is up and around, went back to class today.

God is really funny though. All of College Dude's doctors, starting with the ob/gyn from South Africa, have had British accents. The first cardiologist in San Antonio was British, the cardio he saw briefly in NC was American (and a bit of a jerk). I was a bit disappointed that his cardio in Denver was American, but he knows our British doctors, and so gets a bit of help there ;D. The surgeon who put in his original pacemaker is British. As he is over 18, we had to be referred to a doctor that could see him throughout adulthood. This one is Asian, the surgeon who installed the new pacemaker is Indian descent. I am adjusting to the fact that none of the team would be British. Deep sigh, okay. Dr. S referred us and trusts them and works with them. Susie, get over it.

Cabinet Man has met all of the doctors already and we are waiting for them to tell us that they are ready for him. The anesthesiologist comes in and introduces himself...and I start grinning ear to ear. He's an Aussie. God knows exactly what it takes to give a mom a peaceful heart.......;D

Specialist came home on leave today. For TWO weeks! His best buddies picked him up at the airport, brought him into town. I met them at the school where we signed in. He went in to pick up Snickerdoodle (who knew he was coming) and Sunshine (who did not). Sunshine was in her music class, so we traipsed up there to find her...opened the door and asked for her...she almost trampled classmates getting to him...happy girl. Snickerdoodle did better this time also...she didn't fling herself off the stairs at him like she did last time. Last time their reunion had all the office ladies tearing up...along with mom...and we're passing the tissues around.

Well, sorry for the long, late post. And I'll be sure and answer the lovely notes I was tagged with last week. Between computer issues at work (don't get me started) and ones with my laptop...this other computer is just not conducive to blogging. Guess I need to rearrange.

Hugs everyone!


  1. Glad College Dude's surgery went OK! And Congrats to the Specialist!

    Thansk for your sweet comment on teh loss of my Gizzy. He will be forever missed but Rudy is helping me to deal w/ it. I still get sucker-punched in teh heart sometimes by a thought of him but I think that will ease w/ time. Sorry about your's hard to say goodbye isn't it?

  2. Hope College Dude is doing great today!
    Thanks for your visit...and I like Yellow Tail Syrah. Didn't know that about the migraine headaches...good info to know!

  3. What a story! I hope College Dude is doing well!

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! Please email me if you are still interested in the Physical Culture magazines...


  4. Hi Susie, Thanks so much for your visit! you ask about my bedding in the guest room...well, I have had it for about 4 yrs and I think it is a Crosill(sp?) style. That's about all I remember. Please come back anytime. Nancy

  5. I am so glad everything went well (except for the anesthesia reaction, I have the same thing...not fun)! Enjoyed this post and love your blog. I am now a follower!

    Have a great week!

    Lou Cinda :)


Please leave comments, good, bad or indifferent. I love reading them.