Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thrifty Monday and Met Monday

I'm joining Rhoda Southern Hospitality and Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Monday.

I went to a little consignment store here in town a few weeks ago. I had wanted to go in there for some time, but hadn't had the opportunity. I found a Christmas present there for Cabinet Man.

mirror clips 001

mirror clips 002

Back says Sweden, the front interprets to Father's Day 1971. Which leads me to wonder how it ended up in a small city in Northern Colorado! And since Cabinet Man is a cabinetmaker, how perfect is this? It is currently living in the top of Snickerdoodle's closet.

That was my available cash. I had to wait 2 weeks. She held the plate over a week for me. I have gone back in three times since and spotted this. Lovely, but seriously tarnished.Two sugar bowls, a creamer and a tray. Sugar, creamer are one pattern, second sugar bowl another pattern and a pretty tray. 4 piece set marked down from $25 to $10!

Before

So, Saturday afternoon I sat down with my silver polish, soft cloths, sink of warm water, and paper towels (ala Bill at Affordable Accoutrements http://affordableaccoutrements.blogspot.com/2009/08/silver-for-your-table-from-goodwill.html). And my cable remote. Drop Dead Diva On Demand (http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/drop-dead-diva) One of my new favorite shows but I have a hard time watching it in its slot. So I polished and buffed and ruined two fingernails in the process of getting to this. I already had the spoon and the Battenberg doilies were a gift from a friend's trip to Italy some years ago.

silver set

I'm not sure if it is silver or plated, the tray says Churchill on the bottom, one sugar bowl says FB Rogers Silver (it's plate) and I can't find markings on the other 2 pieces. I didn't find much on the F. B. Rogers. It was founded in 1883 and appears to still be around today.

Still have not finished the rattan patio set, but have a couple more projects to show you soon, including a score from the garage sale in Denver last weekend.

Bop on over to Rhoda's http://southernhospitalityblog.com/those-thrifty-finds/and Susan's http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ to see what else is up!

6 comments:

  1. The plate and silver are just gorgeous. Your plate is perfect for a cabinetmaker. I know your DH will love it. The silver shines so pretty. Love it all. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by my MM and your really sweet comments. You asked about a tutorial on the shell balls. It really is so simple I just bought some styrofoam ball at Michaels and used the hot glue gun. The shells came from the Dollar Tree, they come in a little basket and a lot of them are really rounded, so I just glued the lst one on and then found one that fit next to it without leaving a bigt spece and glued it on. As it went along I discovered that I could overlap them and they would still lay flat. Then if I had a blank space, I just used one of the small snail shells to cover it up. It only took about 20 minutes each. They really are gorgeous in person. I know you can do it. The dollar store has 2 kinds of shells. One in a bag and one in the little wicker basket. I bought 1 bag and have tons, and then I bought 2 of the wicker baskets and I still have plenty. Really cheap and fun. I hope this helps. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I also just wanted to say that I love the Silver set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your silver set.
    It looks really nice polished up.
    I just leave all mine tarnished looking. That's the way i like them and they are sooo much less work.

    Sorry you were pouting and sulking. =0(
    It really was just a bunch of old greasy junk. =0))
    Hope you are better now. =0))

    blessings,
    Barbara Jean

    PS thanks for coming by

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. Be sure to follow me so you can see the end results of the door & other projects I'm working on! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susie Q,
    Hope your week is going well. Loved seeing your wonderful finds, and I'm so appreciative of your thoughtfulness in mentioning me in your post.

    I always love hearing from you. Your clever comments never fail to make me smile ... in fact, they generally make my DAY!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments, good, bad or indifferent. I love reading them.